Tuesday, November 8, 2011

 HOMEMADE CINNAMON AND BROWN SUGAR APPLESAUCE IN YOUR CROCKPOT!
I started with 10 peeled and cored apples (my 3 year old stole one so I ended up using 9 ;-})
 I chopped them up
 & added them to my crockpot
 added 1 cup of water
 3/4 cup of brown sugar (1/3 cup-1/2 cup of regular sugar can be substituted if the dark color of the applesauce throws ya off!)
& 1 TBSP of cinnamon
 I then turned my crockpot on low and let it cook overnight!
 1 hour into cooking
2 hours into cooking
 the next morning (after oh about 9 1/2- 10 hours)
 at this point I used my masher and mushed up the apples...this would be the last step unless you want to jar the applesauce to give away to neighbors, friends, and family or to store it long term. If the dark color throws you off...like I said before...substitute the brown sugar for smaller amounts of granulated sugar)
 start with a classic mason jar (you can get 12 medium sized jars for 8 bucks at walmart)
 fill the jar(s) with your applesauce. (this recipe makes 4 full 8oz. jars)
 place them in a tall pot (or a canning tub if you have one) and fill the pot.
 you want the water to cover the lids of the jars
 once the water is boiling, set your timer for 10 minutes!
tear some fabric to give the edges a more "down home country" undone feel, gather the fabric around the jar, and tie it with a bow for a great presentation when giving the applesauce as a gift!

The applesauce keeps for a good bit before opened, and will keep for about 2 weeks after opened in the fridge and a few months if kept frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment